My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic’s ardent fandom, sometimes known as “Bronies,” is catered to by the well-liked online community “Fimfiction.” This distinctive website provides a venue for the animated series’ viewers to interact and exchange their creative works through fan fiction. This article will examine the world of fanfiction, its history, its effects on the Brony community, and how it has evolved into a center for inspiration and fellowship.
|Official Logo (as of August 17, 2013)||FIMFiction’s logo|
|Date Founded||July 10, 2011|
|Type of Site||Fan fiction repository|
What exactly is Fimfiction?
The “Fimfiction” online fandom is centered on Lauren Faust’s “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic” (MLP: FiM) series. When the website was created in 2011, the show had a growing fan base of loyal viewers known as bronies and pegasisters. Thanks to the platform offered by it, readers may explore and contribute to the vast universe of Equestria.
Birth of Fimfiction
Alex, also known as “Kaidan” on the website, started Fimfiction in 2011. His goal was to provide a user-friendly fanfiction site where My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic viewers may freely express their creativity. The website soon acquired popularity among bronies (fervent viewers of the show, mostly adult males) and pegasisters (fervent viewers of the program, mainly females), giving them a place to express their thoughts and exchange anecdotes. Fimfiction has expanded tremendously over time and now houses a sizable library of fan-made content.
Power of Fanfiction
Fanfiction is an art form with a long history, but Fimfiction has made it accessible to a broader audience. The power of it lies in its ability to:
- Expand on Canon: Fanfiction writers can take the established world and characters from a series and delve deeper into their stories. This adds layers and nuance to the original content, often providing a fresh perspective that fans find captivating.
- Fill in Gaps: Fanfiction can address unanswered questions and explore untold stories within the source material. This is particularly valuable for fans hungry for more content from their favorite universe.
- Investigate Alternative Reality: It present alternative universes or timelines, enabling imaginative reimaginings of beloved characters and locations.
- Character Development: Fanfiction often excels in character development, delving into the complexities of characters and their relationships in ways the source material may not have the time or space to do.
- Creative Freedom: Writers can experiment with different writing styles and genres, from romantic stories to epic adventures and horror tales. The freedom to explore various writing styles is a significant draw for many fimfiction authors.
At some point prior to July 28, 2012, Fimfiction displayed a banner bearing the name “502Fiction.net” and the tagline “we occasionally serve fanfiction.” This banner was introduced in response to the frequent occurrence of 502 gateway errors experienced by users attempting to access Fimfiction.
December 2012 Update
On December 8, 2012, Fimfiction underwent a significant series of updates that brought about substantial changes to the site’s features. During this period, a multitude of bugs and 502 errors emerged, leading to a temporary halt in the site’s operations for a day. Many users humorously suggested that Fimfiction was returning to its roots, while some writers expressed concern over the disappearance of their unpublished chapters and stories. However, the site’s programmer, known as knighty, dedicated a 24-hour programming marathon to resolve these issues.
Upon successfully addressing the majority of the problems and restoring site functionality, knighty enthusiastically informed users about the new features. These enhancements ranged from simple bug fixes to more user-friendly tools for writing, posting, blogging, and managing groups. According to Alexstrazsa, knighty had been working on these updates for over a month before their release. Knighty described the update as a “rebuilding of the site from the ground up.”
The update also saw the introduction of several new banners, while older ones that were not carried over were retired. This update marked the resolution of the problem regarding verification emails not reaching users, thanks to the addition of a “Resend Verification Email” button. Fimfiction’s background and toolbar visuals became customizable, and the “Feature box” was made exclusively visible on the front page to draw more attention to stories outside the feature box.
March 2013 Update
On March 15, 2013, the site underwent another substantial update, primarily focused on improving its appearance. Site backgrounds and fonts were overhauled, button placements were reorganized, and notifications were categorized into three distinct sections. Many elements were streamlined to save space, including the consolidation of like and dislike bars into a single bar and the display of three chapters at a time for stories. Information about an author’s story is now conveniently accessible on the right side of any of their main story pages. Additionally, users gained the ability to bookmark their place in a story using the new bookmark feature.
- The name is commonly presented as “FIMFiction,” although the FAQ page clarifies that knighty prefers “Fimfiction.”
- In December 2012 and December 2013, numerous users had Christmas hats added to their profile pictures.
- If a user inputs the Konami Code on FIMFiction (without the need to press enter), a random desktop pony will magically appear in the browser. This feature appears to have been lost during the December 2012 update. Initially, this fact served as a reward for users who diligently read through the complete list of chat room rules. In the past, entering the code would summon Applejack.
Fimfiction, an online haven for My Little Pony fim fiction, has evolved into a vibrant community where creativity knows no bounds. From expanding on canon to delving into alternative realities and character development, it has brought fans closer to their favorite series. Its journey, marked by updates and quirks, is a testament to the enduring power of fim fiction and the sense of camaraderie it fosters among Bronies and Pegasisters.
In December 2012 and December 2013, some Fimfiction users had Christmas hats added to their profile pictures as a festive touch. Additionally, the site used to have a hidden feature involving the Konami Code, which summoned a desktop pony when entered.
Entering the Konami Code on Fimfiction (without pressing enter) used to summon a random desktop pony, particularly Applejack. This was a hidden feature that served as a reward for users who read through the complete list of chat room rules, but it appears to have been lost during the December 2012 update.
Also, Read About: PNPCODA: Everything you Need to Know About it